Transience is a state of limbo that occurs somewhere between a departure point and a destination point when events are fluid and uncertain. It summons aimless errance, perhaps drifting, with an element of waiting for circumstances to change for the better. It is the state of not knowing what's next and not belonging anywhere in particular at a moment in time and for whatever reason this might be. There are no roots to transience, no anchorage. It is the free agent for change, hence for uncertainty and unpredictability. It belies a period of unstability.
|Lockheed JetStar and the 1960 Lincoln, via Plan59|
I have identified herein five transience-generating areas within our modern society. The list is not exhaustive: -
* Paradigm Shifts: Our governments, in cahoot with the media and corporate elites, have upped the ante to engineer a generation or two of confused kids: dumbed-down propagandist education system, gender theory, reinterpretation of the family unit, radicalised angst-ridden feminism, political correctness, multi-culturalism, the sharing economy, and other paragons of humanist (undertand socialist) ideology jar with traditional homogeneous family values in terms of tradition, culture and history. We witness societal confusion, a shift in points of reference, landmarks sliding away. What used to be held in stone, held as truth by our socio-political system has now been deemed untrue, and reciprocally.
Under European rule, Europeans are getting the feeling of not belonging anywhere anymore, not to their own country that they do not recognise as it is losing the characteristics that used to make it unique. Their national/ federal government is alien to their people and to the voice of discontent. Europeans do not feel allegiance to Europe either. They feel distrust towards this unelected body ruling unilaterally over a conglomerate of countries bundled up together because we so happen to live in close geographical proximity. We are all under the ludicrously remote, faceless, authoritarian governship of Babel (I mean Brussels).
This forced Europeanism on its way to the larger picture of globalism is a representation of transience. It stunts our organic growth as individual countries and puts us in limbo.
|Labour to leisure: Parc du Haut-Fourneau U4, Uckange, eastern France|
* Depressed Economy: When jobs have moved en masse overseas, companies have restructured and fierce competition has increased, the job market gets tougher and job security scarcer. Lucky is being left with an entry-job for life (i.e. no or little scope for promotion and a career) and the general dead-end retail or office jobs that keep you on minimum wage for the duration of your working life. Employment opportunities are tough across the age groups, including those over-qualified graduates. You live in the fear of not finding a job, not being able to keep it, getting on the dole, failing to make ends meet and falling onto hard times. There is no self-sufficiency, no financial independence in the picture; loans, mortgages, debts chain you down further. When unemployed/ on low pay, the State takes care of you with little it can provide, putting you in that shadow category, outside the world of workforce.
Lack of self-sufficiency, no sense of belonging, constant fear and discomfort are by-products of transience.
* Planned Obsolescence: This good old trick that kicked in with Henry Ford in the 1920s is what keeps the production/ consumption machine oiled up to the hilt. It goes hand in hand with the fickleness of fashion and fast-moving trends that play right in the hand of disposability, and genuine technological progress whose pace has accelerated in recent years. Shorter lifespans and shelf lives, and little or no staying power... Even couture designers like ex-Dior's Raf Simons are burning out, complaining about the frenetic pace of the catwalk and fast turnover of fashion collections.
When you are on a constant move and feel you are playing catch up all the time, this unanchored, unsettled state is called transience.
|Spend, spend, spend! Gucci Spring Summer 2017 Set, via Gucci's Instagram account|
* Transhumanist Agenda: Transhumanism is the science that correlates human and machine via AI (Artificial Intelligence). It demonstrates how technology is set to benefit us by increasing our mental, intellectual and physical performance with bionic aids, and in certain ways triggering our brain to think like a machine. Multi-lingual websites that are machine-translated subtly but surely show a facet of the transhumanist bias.
Transportation, media, telecommunications and information technology have transformed our lives beyond compare over the last 30 years. Meanwhile social media, a relatively new kid on the block, has already deeply changed our ways of communicating and interacting with others. Besides the treatment of information has taken on a strong transience bias. Instant messaging/ posting puts you right in the moment for the moment. The present has a very short, fleeting - even fickle - window of operation and lifespan. We are bombarded with so much information that our attention span is continuously challenged and titillated by other facts to consume fast without time for a thought.
We are literally drowning in an-ever expanding sea of news, visual distraction and solid ambient noise. Transience is right at home there!
|Interstate 30 East of Dallas, for Portland Cement Association (1960), by Stan Galli, via Plan59|
* Emperiled National Sovereignty: Open-border policy and its resulting mass migration is the thorn in the side of the West right now. It acts as the wide-scale resettlement of an uncapped number of individuals (in their millions) allegedly fleeing war-torn, poverty-ridden countries (otherwise classified as emerging countries, Third World). They are essentially relocated to Western countries, which are economically richer, deemed politically stable, and with a welfare system in place.
Migration is a spur-of-the-moment, open-door policy that prides itself in being unchartered - and seemingly unregulated. The modern day migrants are mostly driven, angry young men wearing fashion attire and technology-equipped. They land upon our shores with an erased past, no proof of ID required (which would technically have them qualified as illegals or refugees except they're not), and not a penny to their name. I shall add:-
When you erase someone's history, you undress them from the riches and depths of family, tradition, heritage, culture, self-worth. You uproot them, cut the anchors. You isolate them from their true self. Someone without history is not free and grounded; they are transient in their body, mind and spirit, on a quest to find out their origins, their true self. When you erase their history, you are left with a blank canvas. You can rewrite it, remould it as you see fit. This serves the global agenda, which is all about short-term memory, superficiality and transience.
This incentivised mass population relocation is coordinated by a plethora of super-connected NGOs and not-for-profits financed by benevolent philanthropic elite corporations and tax-exempt foundations (The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, The Ford Foundation, The Rockefeller Foundation, The Clinton Foundation, George Soros's MoveOn.Org and Open Societies Foundation, etc.). What have they in common? They are New World Order and work in unison for a global socio-economic and political model that will fathom a rootless, pastless and futureless populace living in the moment for the moment. Transience in all its grace and glory!
|Dissected reality? Matrix LED Screen, via MoMA Store|
This forced multi-culturalism of sorts that is being expedited under globalisation personifies transience in modern society. It shakes up by its very essence the host countries' fabric in terms of republican and religious values, national identity, safety, homogeneity and unity to the core. Regardless of political affiliation, one must admit that migration in its current high numbers is not sustainable, and neither is this extended transience in itself. Meanwhile the natives feel invisible and unheard as all sorts of eccentric demands are placed upon them by their increasingly undemocratic government, in order to force them to surrender their nation to the global agenda that lies ahead, as the EU is increasing its governance over our lives - and we have no word in edgeways on the matter.
P.S: Note the difference between migration and (legal) immigration. Legal immigrants move from their country of origin or residence to a new specific country where they settle down with their family. There is an immigration protocole for them to follow in order to become part of the local society: for example, visa, application for residence and Green Card if in America. On the other hand, migration is an open model of immigration without a roadmap or demand, uncommitted to responsibility, including that of integration, and who whimsically follows the pick-and-choose-a-country formula as it is presented to them. Migrants are the no-history, no-fixed-abode and no-fixed-destination travellers with the risks that such can bring: social misfits, drifters. Note the Houdini trick here: illegal immigration has been cleverly merged into migration. This legalises and legitimises illegals instantly and automatically (cf. Paradigm Shifts section).
P.P.S: Nomadic tribes are not technically classified as transient because their nomadism is a pillar of their society structure. They have a history, culture, way of life that revolves around travel, follows a specific habitual pattern, in relation to seasons, transhumance (seasonal migration of herds and humans from lowlands to the mountains), customs and traditions, availability of produce, and trade. Their nomadism is no aimless wander.
The steady unrelenting erosion of national sovereignty paves the way for globalism, a paragon of transience all to itself as its aim is to level down all countries to a pre-made model, where we will be formatted to think the same, speak the same, dress the same, live the same, behave the same and essentially be the same. This Orwellianism has become a feat of realism as it is already happening right before our very eyes.
Transience, Pillar of Modern Society is a 3-part series: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3